itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

5E Round Table Discussion feedback

@itmeJP @AdamKoebel Thanks so much for doing this. This was really fantastic and thoroughly enjoyable. The ability to watch so many people you look up to you sitting down to talk to each other was incredible. Anyways just wanted to say thanks.

7 Likes

I really enjoyed the design decision insights about the philosophy and structure of 5e and how to interpret it.

Great content, hope to have more like it sometime.

1 Like

I really enjoyed that. Its basically what I had hoped the Roundtable discussion on Alpha would have been but never quite lived up to. I hope that this can become a semi-permanent feature, Iā€™d love to see one of these on the channel every quarter or six months or whatever. It was a blast getting those four together to just talk and discuss the game and the hobby.

3 Likes

Haha youā€™re in my head, I did the Alpha trial to specifically watch the Roundtable stuff there. If they did this a semi regular basis that would be amazing.

3 Likes

I most liked what Mike had to say as he had a position that isnā€™t something that i have been hearing before. While iā€™m not the biggest fan of Evil Matt i feel like he added a nice spice to the show. The quality of the show was top notch!

PS: Props for Mercer if he really just had his bachelor party last night!

2 Likes

It was great to have those divergent perspectives, particularly between Matt C. and Adam. The sign of a good discussion is when people can disagree respectfully and deliver their defenses intelligently.

2 Likes

Two things. The first is for some reason, I keep confusing Colville with Jim Davis from WebDM - think itā€™s the square face and beard. Second, and this might be from half-listening and tuning in late, but does Colville talk more? Seemed like Mercer was being thrown/picking up questions more than anyone else. I donā€™t watch a ton of his videos, but Colville has a good way of explaining topics, even if some of them are fairly mundane.

2 Likes

Mike Mearls is one of my favourite people in the industry. Heā€™s whip smart, kind and a great guy to talk to. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s really nice - I have a lot of respect for Matt and it was great to get to toss the proverbial ball back and forth a bit today.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for this thread, Boostgeek. Itā€™s great to have feedback, especially on stuff we donā€™t usually get a chance to do!

5 Likes

The bit of it that Iā€™ve managed to see so far was great.
Definitely what I wanted from the alpha series; mind you I wouldnā€™t mind mysterious hands passing you guys drinks during the conversations.

1 Like

This was a fantastic discussion with numerous insights into the ā€œwhyā€™sā€ and ā€œhowā€™sā€ of DnD5E and I would very much enjoy more discussions of this nature in the future. Even if it was on the same topic/with the same people, there are more than enough things to talk about. I would especially enjoy the discussion they didnā€™t loop back around to - between Adam and MattC, whether a single game system can fulfill every need or do tailored and themed games allow for better play (Iā€™m personally in Adamā€™s camp, but would like to see that picked apart in more detail).

1 Like

I really loved it ! Hope to see more of that in the future :itmejpgg:

Everyone had their ā€œturn at the micā€ for the most part. Different people talked more about different topics throughout. The Matts had more to say about user experience, Matt C. and Mike talked about system flexibility/fluidity, etc. One thing about Colville - you can really tell when heā€™s got a strong opinion about something being discussed just by facial expressions alone.

2 Likes

Yeah, that part was really interesting. As someone who looks at the 5e rules and is like ā€œwhy do anything but combat here, itā€™s all the game wants you to do anywayā€ it was really interesting to hear Evil Mattā€™s perspective on it

2 Likes

Yeah, I could tell he had a tone of a strong ā€œdefensiveā€ (for lack of a better word) stance on some of the topics he picked up on.

1 Like

Colville is pretty awesome, heā€™s a super smart dude too.

I have two major complaints:

• Adamā€™s name doesnā€™t being with an M
  • This was only 4 hours and not 8

But overall a thumbs up and a ā€˜more of this type of thingā€™ from me as well. I have to agree that is was cool to have 4 strong voices all coming from slightly different approaches and angles to have a deep dive on some of this stuff.

1 Like

Major complaint #2 is not viable. Show was only 2 hours. Complaint should be twice as major.:itmejpexcite:

4 Likes

Oh damn! Complaint3