itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] Let's talk Westworld

So basically this will be a spoiler filled discussion about Westworld and why it is so freaking awesome.

Make sure to use the spoiler options when posting theories or info about episodes. Cheers!

5 Likes

So thoughts on how many Guests are Hosts and vice versa?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking a lot about that. I donā€™t have any good ideas for Guests that are actually hosts, but Iā€™m almost certain at least one of the staff members weā€™ve met is actually a Host.

3 Likes

Oh yeah for sure. Possibly Ford, but that also seems like the go-to answer.

[spoiler]I think that everything that weā€™re seeing is actually happening at different times. With Dolores running on a constant loop, but over the course of years. And the possibility that the gunslinger is someone weā€™ve met when he first came to Westworld.[/spoiler]

3 Likes

They have been playing with time almost as much as who is a Host. The camera work and editing of those transitions from park to shop is fantastic and keeps you guessing
[spoiler]As to Teddy and Dolores, I get the feeling that they have been going through that loop for years, from what the Man in Black said to what Ford asked Teddy about finally having a back story[/spoiler]

4 Likes

I canā€™t wait to see what Dolores does later on. If what she said is true[spoiler] - that there arenā€™t two versions of her (which, to me, suggests she remembers everything) -[/spoiler] itā€™s definitely going to lead to some interesting scenes. Also, not a huge fan of Teddyā€™s backstory.

1 Like
Summary

[spoiler]I am waiting to see how Teddy and Wyatt relate to that church Ford visited in episode 2, and I hope they are still going to flesh out Teddy a bit more, but Ford did say just a bit part in the new story line for Teddy so we might just get what has been already been shown. [/spoiler]

1 Like

[spoiler]So its true that all the hosts have 2 bodies one in the main facility and one in the park? And the staff use the Bot in HQ to diagnose then push the update to the one in the park through the HQ bot or something? [/spoiler]

I like that of all the questions this show makes me think about I am obsessing about logistics. :joy:

2 Likes

That sounds about right. So many questions with this show!

2 Likes

For me it is very reminiscent of LOST in the way it is building itā€™s world and developing characters. Letā€™s just hope in answers more questions :smiley:

1 Like

I never got around to watching LOST :itmejphappy:

1 Like

I like that thereā€™s not too much exposition. The same reason I liked Lost. No need to reveal it all and just let things exist and speculated on. The show is great nonetheless :smiley:

1 Like

As a gamer, I adore Westworld. And Iā€™m pretty sure almost every one of us here can identify with a lot of the themes and questions the story is putting forward, considering all the free element narrative rules within the fiction that we already explore in RPGs and shows like Rollplay. Hell, thereā€™s even sidequesting!

Potentially one of the best ā€œgamingā€ TV shows/movies there ever was, and itā€™s not even about games.

[spoiler]And I feel like setting up Dolores as the inevitable guest-murderer for the climax of the show is a heavy feint to distract from the truly deadly host just waiting to snap - Teddy. If anyone is primed and capable of going on a brutal gunslinger rampage, itā€™s gonna be him. In this way, production-wise, Teddy is a disposable character that can ā€œdieā€ permanently this season as a villain this arc while Dolores can keep on being a main character in the future.

But I wonder who is gonna have the honor of killing the Man in Blackā€¦ or if heā€™s even gonna ā€œbite the bulletā€ at all this season.[/spoiler]

2 Likes

Is it possible that the Man in Black is actually a host?

1 Like

[spoiler]while anything is possible, I donā€™t think the Man in Black could be a host what with his immunity to bullets and the staff calling him a guest who could do anything he wants[/spoiler]

1 Like

Riiiiight, forgot about that part :smiley:

2 Likes

I just hope the Man in Black is not Arnold and Ford isnā€™t essentially keeping him entertain. Would be lame ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

2 Likes

Just finished Ep. 4 and here are a few thoughts
[spoiler]How did they never remove the bullet from Meave? They brought her into the shop explicitly to remove it, I know she woke up, but that is just sloppy to not finish the job. Is that a way of hinting that the staff is becoming complacent, that the wonders they have created are becoming commonplace, and that is why these errors are cropping up? Most likely not but it could be a contributing factor.
When Bernard tells Dolores to try and play the maze game, was that real or was Dolores dreaming it? Does Bernard have the authority to allow her to go off scrip? If so he didnā€™t update the ā€œwatchersā€. Also when Bernard speaks to Dolores alone she is always clothed, every other time a host is pulled into the shop they are naked, Ford even makes a point of pulling a cape off of one host, telling the worker that they donā€™t get cold, or feel embarrassed. How much is Bernard projecting his loss of his son onto Dolores, and how long have they been having those secret meetings?
Thinking of the maze, how does it tie into Fords new narrative? Wyatt was just created, but the Woman with the Snake tattoo, like Teddy, has a back story tied to him. Is Ford bring to fruition a old narrative that Arnold started? But he is destroying a lot of the park to make his story happen. He has finger motion control over the hosts, or at least the power to freeze and release the hosts with one finger. Or was that a preprogrammed sequence for the benefit of Theresa? Who is the representative from the board, are they there yet?
We learned a little more about the Man in Black. He has a foundation out in the real world; is famous enough to be recognized on sight; has been coming to the park since the beginning or near enough; says Arnold created the world and the maze, does that mean that the maze just updates with every new story line, is it the anchor that all other story use to be cohesive? [/spoiler]
Still a lot unanswered but I loved this episode

1 Like

[spoiler]Anthony Hopkins conveyed more intimidation by speaking softly than other actors do (or overdo) with extreme emotion. Chills.

Another Hector murder scene with enjoyable music (this time from Carmen)

I got to say every time James Marsden dies I imagine its cyclops dying over and over again. Such bliss. :stuck_out_tongue:
When you see a human descending into madness on a show/film it is worrying , but when you see it in a Robot (Thandie Newtonā€™s character) its has me on the edge of my seat.[/spoiler]

@Moose2033
[spoiler] The department in the hazmat like suits are beyond sloppy, and you know they are never going to tell the higher ups because they are afraid for their jobs. I bet they even try to push the blame on others. ā€œOh we are overworked and short staffed you should have approved our extra staff requestā€ ā€œnarrative did not alert us thier was going to be this much casualtiesā€ etcā€¦ So true to life with office politics[/spoiler]

2 Likes

[spoiler]I highly doubt it because in Ep. 4 a guy came up to him saying he was thankful about how the man in blacks foundation helped his (wife? or someone else) and the man in black threatened the guy and told him he was on vacation.[/spoiler]

1 Like