itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Star Wars New Canon Novels(And Comics and Tv Shows)

Ooh, interesting side note. The Darth Maul, Son of Dathomir comic published by Dark Horse, is still canon. But the comic isn’t quite as interesting as that fact.

Which book exactly? I wouldn’t expect an explanation for something like that to come in a book. Episode 8 or 9 will hopefully explore that. That’d just be spoiling something imo.

I know the novelizations of the movies aren’t 100% canon according to Disney. I haven’t read them yet.

Hmm, this one. It’s a background book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1465438165/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483447932&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

If it’s okay with the forum guidelines, I’ll post a picture of the exact passages later. I’ll read through the guidelines forst to make sure it isn’t considered copyright or what not.

The novelizations of the movies aren’t considered canon? Is that in an article somewhere? It just seems like a really weird move by Disney considering all the effort they put into making everything canon, up to and including the kids books.

They aren’t canon in the way that, if there’s something in the books that we dont see in the movies, the movies trump the books, especially if a future movie contradicts the books.

That’s why I added the part in my other post saying " I haven’t read the novelizations of the movies yet"

Also, I have that book :slight_smile:

Well, that is thankfully not going to happen since Disney is so thankfully hell-bent on a cohesive canon. So, nothing new will ever contradict something old. We might get some Horus Heresy/40K stuff where we learn things that make us interpret older information differently, but that’s about it.

Reading up on the whole new canon policy, I can’t find anything that discusses the novelizations other than a couple of Reddit threads that unfortunately do not have any links, just hearsay, so the consensus is “the novelizations are mostly canon, expect where they contradict the films.” Having read some of the novelizations, I feel confident saying the novelizations are canon following that guideline.

Reason being is because the novelizations basically have deleted scenes type material where they include things that are in the script and screenplay but didn’t make it into the movies. Like an actual explanation of how the Starkiller base works and how it can shoot across the galaxy without blowing apart everything else that’s in the way. Nothing in the novels contradict the movies. There’s just extra goodies. So I feel like that’s a completely unnecessary guideline, especially since they are still making novelizations.

Not saying you have to read them, but chances are if something in the movies doesn’t feel well explained, the novels actually take the time to explain it since they’re basically the entire script written as an actual novel.

[quote=“NoorElBahrain, post:12, topic:748, full:true”]
So Jesse said on co-optional that its best to listen to the new cannon star wars books than to read them. Something about the way the author writes his prose or something?[/quote]
I don’t know how different they did it differently in the other books, but at least with Aftermath (the first of the new canon books) the problem was that it was really awkward to read in First Person [in addition to short, simple sentences I seem to remember]. With the Audiobooks it’s more tuned towards radioplays instead of “just” reading [or at least used to be that way], making the First Person-view less of a matter.

Also as others have said, there’s just something really amazing about having the sounds and music in the Background. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i just listened to Bloodline’s and ahsoka books. Boths books are great…

So, I’m hoping someone who is more familiar with the EU/Legends universe can help me with this.

Basically, the situation goes like this. When I first heard of the Nightsisters of Dathomir, like pretty much 90% pf the Star Wars fans, I was immediately enthralled. Probably because they’re a darkside organization that is just as enduring as the Sith.

And so when between the events of the Clone Wars CGI, Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic, Dark Disciples novel, and now Star Wars Rebels Season 3, the Nightsisters were basically completely annihilated, I was pretty dismayed.

But looking over their Legends incarnation over on Wookiepedia, it seems that, like with the Sith, it is a rather common occurence for the Nightsisters to be completely wiped out, and then reincarnate when a new group of exiles and ne’er-do-wells decide to be Nightsisters.

Does anyone know of any more information explaining this? Is it like the actual Sith where some relic/spirit/etc would be found by a willing disciple who would then recreate the group? Or is it more spontaneous where the group simply takes the label as Nightsisters?

I’m not as familiar with Nightsisters in particular (and this post might not be that helpful as a result), but the way I see it in Legends the Nightsisters were spread out much further over the planet so there always were enough survivors to start again [also in EU it was less about species and more about mentality]. In the New canon it’s implied they are all dead now forever, maybe to have a reason for them not being in the OT (similar to Geonosians in the recent episodes of Rebels).

That’s something I seriously dislike about the shows, where it seems like every species/group got about three Settlements and basically everyone knows where they all are and in one quick swoop they can be annihilated. It’s not like there’s a whole (well, about two thirds of one) Galaxy out there to live on (not including live on a spaceship)

Yeah, it does seem to be a problem.

The only silver lining I can find is that there is a Nightsister in the Star Wars: Uprising mobile game. While the game has been discontinued by Kabam, it is considered canon by Disney. They weren’t kidding when they said every scrap of story going forward is now canon. The Anoat sector and the Iron Blockade are even mentioned in Aftermath: Life Debt.

Anyway, point being, there is a Nightsister, and she has a daughter. The daughter runs a criminal group called the Kahoun. So upside, there is still a living source of the Nightsisters’ traditions.

Downside is that it is very explicitly stated that while she passed down some of her teachings to her daughter, Deathstick, Deathstick is not considered to be Nightsister and her mother says it is impossible for to become one.

Most likely this has something to do with the events of Dark Disciples when [spoiler]Asajj Ventress runs Quinlan Voss through the Nightsisters’ initiation rituals, but then either has him destroy them as part of his training, or destroys them herself, thus preventing anyone from following that specific path of initiation.[/spoiler]

There is hope in that since the organization did have means of travel on and off of Dathomir in the new canon, there can be individuals and possibly even groups who survived the Separatist purge. But, that carries the downside that unless there is another Sleeper sleeping somewhere, any new Nightsisters can never be true Nightsisters. Also, I miss the rancor riding.

So unlike the Mandalorians where apparently the civil war with Maul’s Shadow Collective created a huge splintering of Mandalorian society that saw the creation of groups like the Mandalorian Protectors, with those groups still capable of being true Mandalorians, the Nightsisters didn’t get such a caveat.

But who knows? Maybe the Sleeper had kids and they’re just sleeping deep in the pools.

Huh, so I don’t know if you’ve seen the latest Rebels, but [spoiler]there is a Geonosian survivor who is taking care of a queen egg. And since the queens breed like the Alien queens, won’t be a problem for the species once she hatches. And since we know the only Geonosians Vader kills in his comic series is the queen from the Clone Wars, that means the Geonosians actually have a chance at survival.[/spoiler]

I guess we’ll just have to hold out hope that someone on the Star Wars team at Disney decides they like the Nightsisters and other Witches of Dathomir as much as the Lasats, Geonosians, and Mandalorians. I was about to say that at least we have the Nightbrothers, but then I remembered they got killed off in Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir.