itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[COURT OF SWORDS // E103 // Q&A] A Mouthful With Grave Dirt

More of an overall Lore question, but considering the current “allies” of the party, I feel it’s valid.

Do the primordials even give a fuck about the Mara? Cause as I recall, the Mara came after the Arcana took over as the primary worship.

The Necromancer King explicitly told Ramus that there were no strings attached and nothing is expected in return for the gift. If Ramus chooses to help them, it is because of his own free will. But if one enlists in an army, even if they did it willingly, they’re expected to follow orders.

Heaven is in the middle of a SERIOUS conflict internally, and so they’ve all kind of forgotten about Berg.

Also ty I thought it was p funny I love Danika.

No, but the Primordials don’t give a fuck about anything.

4 Likes

Is the 50 x Level XP reward you mentioned at the end just a good rule of thumb to use for minor/medium quest progression? Still getting a handle on XP rewards.

any goal they work towards but don’t resolve, they get 50 x their level in XP!

the 50 x lvl XP reward is only when they worked towards their goal, otherwise they get a reward based on the difficulty of the goal.

I just figured with Ramus looking to get cozy with Imix/the Flame, maybe it wouldn’t be best to canoodle with the “bad” guys. Just a thought I had.

The Embers suggested making an alliance with the Mara last time we saw them. This campaign doesn’t subscribe to such a strictly Manichaean view of morality.

The Embers want to Ally with these people.

I’m not sure about 2. Sometimes you are your own worst enemy.

1 Like

I don’t pretend to have ALL my Lore in order lol

Question for Dan. I see a lot of people thinking that Ramus is planning on working with the mara/necro king now, but I don’t quite get that impression. I think that it is more likely that Ramus is only on team Ramus, and will use whatever groups will help him accomplish his personal goals. Though we have seen glimpses from time to time that Ramus still thinks of himself as a servant of the Tower (perhaps the last true Tower cleric), aiming to burn away all that has been built up.

I understand that all of that is speculation and not a question, but here is the question part. Ramus talked about the cleverness of the peasants looking for a new hand. Does he relate to them, or think of them as cheaters? Perhaps those trying to run out on their karmic bills? Obviously this isn’t the real Ramus, but the real Ramus did have to pay that debt, after all.

The Mara faction reminds me a lot of the Farang’s obsession with free will. I’m looking forward to seeing how they differentiate as we see more of them.

https://youtu.be/iizDMEnI8zM Link to “ambush from 10 sides” as played on Chinese guitar. 1hr 20 minutes in @AdamKoebel awesome reference love the GM on the fly ambiance you incorporate with the players 10/10

5 Likes

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Ramus the Wise?

1 Like

fuuuuuck yessssssss

@AdamKoebel Hey Adam! Berg is proficient with lute :slight_smile:
PH 136 - Outlander Background.

3 Likes

It’s true, I realized he should have been making Lute checks instead of Performance ones.

2 Likes

I know this doesn’t matter in this case and Adam ruled correctly on the fly but I like a good semantic rules clarification. Only because I recently had to look this up for a game I DM with a Paladin/Monk Multiclass. Unarmed Strikes are not weapons but when you attack with them you make a Melee Weapon attack (in the first printing of the phb incorrectly had unarmed strikes listed in the weapons table but corrected in later printings and clarified in an errata). The easiest way to think about it is there are four kinds of attacks in 5e Melee Weapon Attack, Ranged Weapon Attack, Melee Spell Attack, Ranged Spell Attack. And spell that force a save are technically not attacks (which is why a lot of spells like sanctuary state things like “this ends if you attack or cast a spell or damage an enemy”) but that’s a whole other discussion. And the only reason this matters is because some abilities, for example, say you have to hit a creature with a melee weapon attack like Paladins Divine Smite feature whereas other abilities say you have to hit a creature with a melee weapon like Paladins Improved Divine Smite (11th Level ability). So a Monk/Paladin can normal Smite with their fist but need a weapon to improved Divine Smite. And if a Paladin throws a spear at a creature it can improved Divine Smite it but not regular Divine Smite because the Paladin is making a ranged weapon attack with a melee weapon not a melee weapon attack. So long story, not very short, melee weapon attacks are melee attacks with a weapon (unarmed strikes being a special case) not all attacks with a melee weapon (though they do overlap). Also if it’s ever uncertain if you look at the bottom of any monsters stat block it usually says melee weapon attack next to their attacks even if their attacks are claws or bites or whatever.