itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[Suggestion Thread] Recommend a book to me

Interesting. Found it for 10€ online so will probably order it or maybe pick it up tomorrow. Noticed that there’s 2 new books by the same author in the same series from last year.

1 Like

I’d be interested if anyone is currently reading the “Kate Daniels” series by Ilona Andrews and, if so, knows any similar books to recommend.

1 Like

For anyone who wants to get into the Star Wars books I recommend them in Audio Book format.
The production values are higher than anything else I’ve seen.

• Top Tier narrators
  • Full John Williams Soundtrack
  • Authentic Star Wars Sound Effects

It’s as close to watching a movie without actually watching one as you can get.

2 Likes

I tried audio books and it went well. Listen to a lot of Hamilton while I went out on long run. Not sure why but often the Swedish audiobooks just feels as if they have better narrators (not all the time) than American narrators. Anyway I wasn’t able to focus on them anymore and switched to podcasts, where it’s a bit easier to tune out for a second without losing the red thread.

1 Like

Lois McMaster Bujold’s Vorkosigan series is fun, intelligent, space opera. You can read the 1st 10 chapters free

2 Likes

Sanderson’s books can be slow at times, but when you get to the end it’s always worth it! I almost gave up on TWoK several times in the first third, but the last third is soooo good. Now the stormlight archive is my favorite series, and Mistborn are close behind.

1 Like

What didn’t you like about The Well of Ascension? I am rereading Warbreaker also by Sanderson but I might reread the first Mistborn trilogy before continuing my Dune read through, finally reading the other five books in the series

1 Like

Have you read past the first book in Dune? I enjoyed the first one but heard that the others are not nearly as good. Do you think it’s worth continuing past the first one?

The reason is a bit of a spoiler. Lets just say its a trope that I can’t stand anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

[spoiler]Its the love triangle with Vin , Elend , and Zane.[/spoiler]

1 Like

I can understand, I guess it just never bothered me as much, and the third book is so good.

1 Like

I am loving the Dune series, I just finished God Emperor of Dune, the Forth book of the original Six, I don’the feel that the quality has decreased any, you should try Dune messiah

Thanks! Will definitely check it out then.

1 Like

To give you a recommendation after all: The Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown was enjoyable. Read through all three books in about a week. It’s much darker than Star Wars or Firefly though.

Just throwing some books in here. (It’s a bit long, I suppose)

For Science Fiction, that have not (or only barely) been mentioned:

• The Hyperion-Cantos (Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion) by Dan Simmons I’d say is a bit of a Space-Opera with instant travel between planets for Humanity or some tribes just living in asteroids fields. The first part is more or less centered around the stories of seven individuals that for some reason or another want to travel to the namegiving planet, while the overarching plot only really gains momentum in the second book.
  • Related to the Hyperion-Cantos, the Endymion-Cantos (Endymion and Rise of Endymion) is set 300 years (I think) after Hyperion. Tonally a much more philosophical work with a heartbreaking ending :wink:
  • Also by Dan Simmons is Ilium/Olympos a two parter thousands of years in the future, with gods on Mars replaying the Illiad, Roboters from Saturn (or Jupiter) obsessed with Literature from the 20th century [or Shakespeare] and people living in the ruins of Paris and talking about the Guarded Lion (a Cacography of Gare de Lyon) et al. (Simmons also wrote Flashback, which was alright, but controversial because it’s actual hard sci-fi and used extremist-islam becoming the worldreligion as a backdrop, didn’t play that big a role in the plot though)
  • I’m reading The Ship Who Sang by Anne Mccaffrey right now. Several Shortstories about a Brain-ship (basically if a baby is physically too weak to happily live but with a sound mind it can be put into a ship). Not a lot to write home about so far, but written really nicely imho. (Got Dragonriders of Perm to read soonish too)
  • The Heechee-Books by Frederick Pohl… I’m a bit torn. I genuinely like the first book (Gateway), which is told as cutbacks while the protagonist is on a psychotherapist’s couch, the others are written more traditionally and there are some things I do not like plotwise. The third book (Heechee Rendezvous) is worse in that regard than the second (Beyond the Blue Event Horizon), but the two of them are basically one plot.
  • I enjoyed reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (probably not the David Mitchell you’re thinking of) and reading that made me appreciate the Movie even more. (I don’t think I have to write much to that one)
  • There are many good Warhammer 40k books if you’re so inclined. Basically everything by Dan Abnett is great, Gav Thorpe is good, Graham McNeil (though iirc he is a bit too deep into Ultramarines, so be aware of that), Nick Kyme and Aaron Dembski-Bowen are decent too.
  • Many of the Classic Battletech novels were pretty good. Notably the Blood of the Kerensky-Trilogy by Michael A. Stackpole (Lethal Heritage, Blood Legacy, Lost Destiny) which deal with the Claninvasion and the first few years of chaos following that.
  • There’s also Otherland by Tad Williams, though I think in retrospect I’d say that’s the least interesting Quadrology by him. Set into the mid-to-late 21st century (only real reference point is one ancient man who lived through WW1) mostly in a virtual environment there are many threads started that only come together after a bit (and then are split and remerged again and again). The first book is a bit of a slog though.

As for other books:

• Tad Williams’ other works include Memory, Sorrow and Thorn preceeding Otherland, a pure fantasy-quadrology with an even slower start than Otherland, but imho much more interesting plot. (He also wrote Shadowmarch but I do have to re-read that one. I remember I liked it and it was High-fantasy leaning a bit towards industrialization, but other than that…)
  • Tailchaser’s Song (also Williams), a mostly very good story and for about half the book realistic story about a Cat leaving home (or being left alone, I don’t quite remember) and having an adventure. The end is a bit… weird, but other than that, it’s fine.
  • He also wrote War of the Flowers, which mostly is set in a Parallelworld to ours where there is no electricity but magic.
  • Dan Simmons wrote several Semi-Historic Novels, which are all nice reading, dealing with a) finding the Northwest Passage (The Terror), b) The last Years of Charles Dickens (Drood), c) What if Sherlock Holmes was a real person and tried to solve a murder in America (The Fifth Heart) [The latter brought that premise up but it didn’t really go anywhere] or d) One of the last “trueborn” indians in the 19th century plotting to blast Mt. Rushmore.
  • Another Semi-Historical book is The Lions of Al-Rassan by Gay-Gavriel Kay. Obviously set in the fantasy equivalent of Reconquista-Spain. I don’t remember much of the plot, but I remember I liked reading it. So maybe more of a light-ish reading.

That should do it for now though >.>

1 Like

Lords of the Sith is one of the best SW books i’ve read.
Really conveys the feels about Darth Vader and the terror his opponents feel around him.

2 Likes

Just finished Warbreaker (A great book if people haven’t read it yet) which got me thinking about other Sanderson novels, and the way I read all of Shallan’s chapters in The Way of Kings, she just annoyed me so much that on my second read though I just skipped all of her chapters. :smiling_imp: I had forgotten all about how much Sallan annoyed me until last night, but with how interconnected Sanderson’s books are it came back to me.
[spoiler]also I am still looking for the rumored Taris woman in Warbreaker[/spoiler]

2 Likes

On my first read through I also really disliked her chapters, but after reading the flashbacks in Words of Radiance I enjoyed her chapters much more when I reread The Way of Kings. Also Warbreaker is great, I hope to reread it soon!

2 Likes

She was much better in Words of Rasiance, but I still don’t think she was written well in tWoK.

When reading Sanderson it’s fun to try to find Hoid in any of the Cosmere books. Well except in Stormlight Archive since he’s so prominent.

1 Like