itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[Suggestion Thread] Recommend a book to me

This thread so that the community members can help each other in finding a book with a specific or similar theme/genre/author/tone etc… to the one you are enjoying or are looking to read.

Tip
If you are asking for a recommendation reply to the thread.
If you are going to suggest a book to community member reply to that poster please.

General Book recommendations are welcome as well if you feel like sharing.

1 Like

Looking for a Space - Opera book in the vain of Star wars and the tv show firefly.

I have read some of the Star Wars expanded universe books (love the Thrawn trilogy <3 ) and I have Star Wars comics on my to read list.

suggestions are greatly appreciated :smiley:

EditL: Thank you so much for the responses :heart:

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about the Expanse novels, though I haven’t read them myself.

2 Likes

I have read the first book because I saw it recommended for people looking for a space opera (to me it is half detective noir). Its darker than I was looking for so I did not enjoy it as much.
Love the TV Series though and might go back to the series later

1 Like

There’s also The Quantum Thief, an originally Finnish transhumanist sci-fi novel. I’ve listened to most of it, and while it doesn’t explain itself much, it’s a really good read. It is a bit more of a detective novel in that sense, but it’s a really different and interesting universe.

2 Likes

have you read Old Man’s War or Red shirts by John Scalzi? both great stories. Also the Ciaphas Cain novels by Sandy Mitchell are a blast more in the vein of Maverick and Rockford Files

2 Likes

Just going to throw the book Seveneves in here. Might be the best book I’ve ever read, loved by Adam Savage, being made into a movie by Ron Howard, and written by Neal Stevenson.

The book starts on modern day earthwith the moon blowing up unexpectedly, and builds to a Sci-Fi epic that everyone should read!

3 Likes

Old man’s war is a great book. Also bloodline from the Star Wars new cannon is damn good.

2 Likes

The Dread Empire’s fall series by Walter Jon Williams is a good space opera. It has a realistic take on space travel I found refreshing.

2 Likes

Not really Sci-Fi but recently I’ve been rereading the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett and highly recommend them to anyone who hasn’t already read them.

5 Likes

Yeah defiantly. Sir Terry is on of my favorite authors. To those just starting in the series. You don’t have to read the series in chronological order you can just follow the different storylines (Rincewind/unseen university books , the death books, city watch books etc…)

1 Like

I agree that you don’t have to read it in chronological order but it helps since the world, and especially Ankh-Morpork, changes significantly through out the books.

2 Likes

Aside from the Expanse series and Old Man’s War which I love and that have already been recommended, you might wanna take a look at these, if you haven’t already:

• The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov
  • Ender’s Game and sequels, by Orson Scott Card
  • Ender’s Shadow and sequels, by Orson Scott Card

I’ve also heard very good things of Ian Bank’s Culture series but I haven’t read them, so I can’t say anything about it.

Also, not sci-fi at at all, but beacuse Wheat gushed about it in one of the RollPlay pre-show talks some time ago, I picked up The Stormlight Archive by Brendon Sanderson and the only bad thing I can say about it is that only two of five planned books are out right now and the wait is killing me.

3 Likes

I will look into those book. Thank you.

I noticed this odd reluctance on my part to read hard sc-fi for some reason. Even though I could happily sit there and watch it if it was a film or a tv show.

About The Stormlight Archive , I love the series. I was nodding along to all the good things Wheat was saying about the series. I have not been absorbed by a book in a really long time. In fact I told my family not to disturb me during the last few chapters of each book :joy: His style of writing and the pacing is very enjoyable and it very easy to be reading and having it all run in your head like a film (Similar to the way Adam DMs a game).
The wait between books do feel long, but he is a writer that has a work rate and ethic that is matched by so few. So we are luckier than fan s of other series. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sidenote: I don’t really like his mistborn series. I enjoyed the first book, but I can’t bring myself to finish the second.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to find books similar to The Crusades Trilogy: The Road to Jerusalem, The Templar Knight, and Birth of the Kingdom by Jan Guillou. It’s a Swedish book series but it’s also the only book series of that kind that Jan Guillou have written. It’s more of an historical fiction and not fantasy but that’s probably since it’s written by a journalist. Any ideas of similar books?

Another one that I’ve read over and over again since my child hood is the The Borrible Trilogy my mom found the books in Swedish at a flea market when I was a kid but it was only the two first books. I read them until they disintegrated. About 8 years back I bought the entire Trilogy in English and I’ve read it a few times since then. I’ve been looking for similar books since the first time I read it, any ideas on that as well?

They’re both sort of similar in execution where both are fiction they still feel rooted in our world, The Borrible Trilogy of course is all fiction but it has the backdrop of modern times.

Aaaaaand, we should set up a book club of some sort here. :itmejphappy: That would be awesome.

2 Likes

What I absolutely love about the way Stormlight is written is that Sanderson doesn’t treat his readers like idiots with zero memory and/or attention span. There’s very little exposition about how things work in the world. You just gotta pay attention and figure it out (e.g. “safehands” are not explained at all; you just learn a little bit more about what’s up with them every time they come up in some way). Now I find a lot of books very annyoing because of how many things they try to actively explain to me and remind me of in what feels like excruciating detail.

Welp, I’m about to find that out for myself after I finish Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Got them all on my Kindle already.

2 Likes

Historical Fiction I would recommend taking into account the books you mentioned is the author Bernard Cornwell he has many novels set in different historical times. The most famous of which is probably the Sharpe books, which was made a tv series starring Sean Bean. I have read only a couple of the books, but I enjoyed the Sharpe TV show.

Other Authors I can recall from in this genre is Sir Walter Scott who has a historical novels set in the Jacobite rising like Waverley . Other Famous books of his are Rob Roy and Ivanhoe (which is set in in the same time Robin Hood takes place). My favorite is the more obscure Quentin Durward, possibly because I saw the film with Robert Taylor first.

For more Swash buckling historical Fiction- Rafael Sabatini I enjoyed Scaramouche, and Captain Blood which were both made into films.

Historical fiction that can be read to kids - Books by Robert Louis Stevenson (Treasure Island, Kidnapped , and The Black Arrow) & The Children of the New Forest by Frederick Marryat which is about the lives of a Royalist Family during the time of the English Civil War.

For Children’s Fantasy I can’t recommend Diana Wynne Jones enough. The Chrestomanci series is great. Dark Lord of Derkholm is a favorite of mine because it is a extremely well done parody of the Fantasy Genre (Its noce to read the sequel to the book as well to know wheat happens to the characters). She is also the writer of Howl’s Moving Castle which Hayao Miyazaki based a film out of.

2 Likes

Its great. I get tired of reading huge info dumps. Especially if they are so bland and boring.

:itmejphappy: Happy reading :itmejpexcite:

1 Like

I don’t have any specific recommendations but instead I’m recommending Goodreads which helped me tremendously with finding books similar to the ones I like. You guys might want to check it out :>

2 Likes

For historical fiction I just picked up Age of Iron, I only just started reading it myself so I cant say how good it will be in the end but so far I’m enjoying it. It’s based on the time period of Roman’s deployment in Britain.

1 Like