itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Inspiration Thread: Sci-Fi

As y’all might know, we’re planning a new series featuring Sam, Dodger, Jesse and Pokket with the intent to do like, high sci-fi action. I’ve got a few sources of inspiration (Guardians of the Galaxy, the Sagas comic series, Fifth Element) but I’d love to hear what YOUR favourite action adventure science fiction is.

You know me, I’m a media sponge.

3 Likes

Something that flips between like… Farscape / Lexx / Red Dwarf ?

Less action-y, but has interesting group inter-play (at least for the cast mentioned)

4 Likes

Sounds like an awsome show dude, maybe Total Recall and the Running Man… i know cheese as hell but their a couple of my favs baring the normal Star Wars and that. Red Dwalf as @sythmaster said is always good, Event Horizon maybe?

create a super high tech world… everything star trek/star wars is in there! but: the peripherals everyone uses are super vintage. weird oval CRT displays on everything, huge buttons, random cable tubes… and to use the voice command computers people use big microphones. victorian/mad science/steampunk style, but super high tech under the hood.

edit: realized that would appear pretty close to blades

Hmm, sci-fi action… First movies that came to mind were Big Hero 6 and Edge of Tomorrow. In terms of video games… Borderlands? Transistor? Or maybe the more futuristic Final Fantasy games (VII, VIII, XIII trilogy).

I’m a fan of “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep” by Philip K. Dick, and the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. Foundation is maybe a little less action/adventure, but it’s a really interesting sci-fi story with some great themes. My last recommendation would be “I, Robot” starring Will Smith.

1 Like

Farscape is great choice in term of RPG group dynamic.

2 Likes

To add to Adam’s list of great insperation sources -

• Star Wars - the original trilogy and the sequels, as well as Star Wars Rebels , the comics too with the books (Eu and new cannon). I don’t need to tell Adam this he is a Star Wars fan :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Tv - Firefly , farscape (as mentioned), The Expanse.
  • Anime - Outlaw Star. I haven’t watched Cowboy Bebop entirely it seems like a good inspiration too.
2 Likes

There once was this show, it featured four stunning protagonists and a whole lot of great supporting characters. The main characters were a crew of… let’s say logistics entrepreneurs who had their own star ship. They got mixed up in some pretty wild stuff, gangsters, computers, aliens. To this day, fans of the show talk about the well written stories and the stellar acting. The title theme still gives me goosebumps (not even kidding).

Other than that, I tried to hop on the hype train for the The Expanse TV show, but it really wasn’t for me. Ender’s Game (the book series) got recommended to me as one of the best SciFi sagas, but haven’t touched it yet. And let’s not forget about Hitchhiker’s Guide!

1 Like

Oh my, I completely forgot about that show. IT. WAS. AWESOME.
Please, Lord @AdamKoebel senpai, make it so!

:itmejpo::itmejpgg:
1 Like

I liked Ender’s Game a lot, along with the first Hyperion book by Dan Simmons . I’m making my way through Andromeda at the moment.

Starship Troopers, The Expanse, Quantum Thief

I forgot to suggest Blake’s 7, if you like happy ending.

[quote=“pepryce, post:11, topic:433, full:true”]
Hyperion[/quote]

Oohhh, yes. I might not really see it as action as a whole, but there definitely are action scenes in it (I’m looking at you, Shrike).

I’d like to second Edge of Tomorrow as well. Minority Report was nice too. I do have the action in The Forever War in good memory, though they were neither long nor any sort of a lynchpin of the story.

Not necessarily what you are looking for, but Warhammer 40k has pretty nice action going on. And as a final note, I do like the Approach of “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”, as seen in Numenera or Dragonriders of Pern (which I am reading atm, so I might be in for a suprise later on).

1 Like

I get what you mean - I listened to the audible book, and it was uber slow to get going.

I am a huge fan of hard scifi, so quantum thief by Hannu Rajaniemi comes to mind. Its world is interesting, certain cultures within books and how they came to be are interesting and could be a source of inspiration.

I’ll be the next guy to recommend farscape. That show was impressive, especially the puppetry for some of the aliens.

Staying with Sci-Fi series series of early 2000s, there is Andromeda, which in my humble opinion is pretty much as high Sci-Fi as possible mixed with a handful of apocalypse.

For some hard Sci-Fi (and culture shock - the books were written for the chinese market) I definitely would recommend reading Cixin Liu’s “Three Body Problem” trilogy (Three Body Problem, The Dark Forest and Deaths End).

There’s another really good Image Sci-Fi title called Black Science! Sort of a serious Rick and Morty. Interdimensional travel and all that jazz.

• Old Man’s War- great book trilogy
• Starship troopers (the book, not the movie)
•Alien movies

After Mass Effect’s prologue, the player arrives on the Citadel, a massive space station teeming with diverse alien life. The various species on the citadel have built a galactic government in which humans, as a young species, play only a small part. I very much enjoyed this vision of pre-existing interstellar cosmopolitanism into which humanity is a new arrival.

2 Likes