itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[FAR VERONA // E17 // Q&A] The Pot Boileth Over

this week has been so damn good thanks for watchin!

3 Likes

well that was intense

Berkmann III destroys all the good people. UPC, CHR, High Church, Crux & Serpens now all mad as heck on that dusty planet.

Great show, really excited to see the duel.

Good grief, this week is the week of PC’s having party dividing conflicts; was almost the week of two lots of PVP.

Kinda hoping that the Chaplin is actually still alive but injured as he teleported out but still took some damage and then he just shuffles into the room to find Booker and Kiran fighting, Nomi’s just sitting in the chair in the corner with steepled fingers. Either way Mark’s going to walk in next week to be like “WTF is going on?” XD

Staying up to watch the post shoooooooooow <3
This was SO GOOD. FUCK <3

What a swingy episode. So many different scenes with varying tone. And that cliffhanger… PVP Season is open on Rollplay :smiley:

Sorry for the horseshit comment @AdamKoebel, trying to make Gassy feel better for his bad luck by calling your decision out was definitely not a good call. I’m an idiot and you always do an awesome job :itmejpcute:

1 Like

it’s cool, friend!

3 Likes

Oh my, I can’t handle Bronze’s outbursts, they are too real!

@Bronze: After your (and Nomi’s) life was threatened by those church goons and Booker was handed to you beaten unconscious and the news of the death of chaplain Valencio broke, why did Kiran channel her anger towards Nomi (and Booker by extension) and not towards the people of Berkmann, who are somewhat responsible? After you turned down the Trilliant Ring in the last episode because of your allegiance to your team, the turnout of this episode was very surprising to me.

2 Likes

Booker rolling like trash is almost becoming part of his character at this point. The man of constant sorrow.

1 Like

I didn’t want him to be space Berg but the dice, they won’t allow anything else.

3 Likes

It was a domino effect. The conversation with the pastor convinced the Emira that in order to quell rebellion they would have to restore people’s faith in Imperial justice and rule. She alluded to it a bit when she first arrived on planet and told the Crux diplomat that usually rebellions like this were a result of poor management.
The combination of watching Arnahan brutalize protestors and Nomi standing by while a man was about to pay the ultimate cost (for what was a pretty petty crime) made her feel ashamed. The entire display was disgraceful (to her) and the escalation was only proving people like Pastor Lau right. Coming inside to the news of the Chaplain being killed in a bombing was the proverbial straw that broke her patience because she can’t help but feel that if Nomi and the others always carry on like this (especially when she’s not around) then they essentially provoked the attack. More importantly: even though the Emira didnt completely trust the chaplain, she valued him as a member of the team who, like her, wasnt as wrapped up in Nomi’s command. With his absence and Emira perceiving Booker to be incredibly obedient to Nomi, this essentially left the Emira in a compromised position where she was left obeying the commands of someone whose beliefs clash not only with her morality but her faith. So, it only made sense to leave instead of taking orders from someone who, ultimately, the Emira doesn’t respect as a noble. Gosh this took a long time to type.

8 Likes

Atleast Berg had the terrible stats. Booker is actually decent at what he does… most of the time.

Loved the episode and its themes this week. Especially the conflict about killing a peasant for grabbing a noble felt like a great way to explore the dynamic between different nobel houses. I still have a little problem with the last few minutes though.
Nomi and Booker barging into Kiran’s room without any apparent reason just didn’t feel like something the characters would do in this situation. I think they would have knocked before entering which could have resulted in them not catching Kiran packing and thereby enable a nonviolent exit from the crew for Kiran.
In the post-show Anne clearly stated that this was a misunderstanding on a player level, since she thought Nomi and Booker knocked and nobody answered or something. This makes me wonder if @AdamKoebel would consider retconing this detail and replaying the rest of the scene, since the misunderstanding has far reaching consequences and may lead to a physical confrontation between Kiran and Booker that just doesn’t feel completely coherent with the previous actions of the two.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time though!
In a space where murder-hobo lifestyle often reigns surpreme, personal convictions, shame and honor are often discarded along the way. With Riley gone and Yancy highered up, that social tension of nobles vs. serfs was bound to take a backseat and I like how you may have brought it back by expecting the nobility to act nobly. I also like how Booker, with his complicated background not only in regards to (his) nobility but also Nomi, is on the other side of the conversation this time around. Can’t wait to see if Kiran will manage to drag him back out from under Nomi’s thumb or if chaplain Valencio, who’s brackground is literally ‘Killing in the name of’, will teleport back from the dead to bring the group back together!

Nomi is slowly morphing into her final form as a Sith Lord.

I would like to take this point this out because it occurred to me in talks that it wasn’t necessarily obvious that if you have a dispute legal or otherwise that as a noble you have recourse and your house has recourse.

House Reticulum: https://far-verona.wikia.com/wiki/House_Reticulum

House Reticulum’s traditions of dueling formed the basis of the Formal System of Noble Grievance Resolution. By imperial decree (of the Masked Emperox) this system is now the system that all nobles use to settle their grievances, rather than escalating to armed conflict.

If you want to stir this pot. You have the option to challenge “Serpens Nomi Ka” to a duel over her methods and send for the House Reticulum duelists of House Vela to prove to the people that you care for them, and obviously also to stall for time so you can maybe slip away and escape.

You do have recourse. Provided it is asked for.

1 Like

Damn, what a tense episode. Pretty sweet. The escalation at the end did feel weird to me though. While certainly dramatic and exciting, I think it would have very much benefited from the players taking a step back for a moment to come to a better collective understanding of the situation so contextual things and the weight of potential actions/words would be grasped better by the players (an example of this would be what Adam brought up in the post-show about how it being a Crux consulate and the authority that grants to those in command (i.e. Nomi) introduces a degree of rationality, though still a dick-move, to what the Emira perceived as an unjustifiable act of intrusion). There was a moment when I think Adam was trying to do exactly that but he kinda got talked over and the action just kept rising uncontrolled. I really liked how in the recent CoS episode,

I don't know how to do spoilers so will try it like this?

everyone took the time to come to a thorough understanding where both their own characters and the other characters stood in the conflict so as to best inform their characters’ actions to be in line with both whatever they thought fit best with ‘RP’-wise for their own char AS WELL as whatever fit best for what would be interesting/OK with the group. As an example, had Max the player strongly wanted Shadrick to stay a part of the party, the others said they would find a way to make it work while still playing true to their own PC. He didn’t, so conflict still happened, but everyone was cool with how things worked out and it was great that the conversation happened, all without harming the ‘drama’ of the situation (in my opinion at least, since I really enjoy those character-study moments where the truth of their feelings are laid bare).

As it played out, the action didn’t feel super satisfying to me in that I don’t think the narrative alone had yet yielded enough substance to back up how the escalation of things played out so it just kinda felt out of nowhere. Pure conjecture, but I think things would have played out differently had a step-back been taken. If things did play out the same, it would at least feel more narratively sensical since I found myself agreeing with Max’s expression that it just looked like the Emira was “freaking out”.

I do want to make clear that I am just trying to express my feelings on how the narrative played out, since I can tell I’m ending up doing some “you should RP differently” towards Bronze, which is kinda shitty and I am sorry for that. I appreciated hearing Bronze’s reasonings in the post-show, and I obviously can’t say that this actually did come out of complete nowhere seeing as the potential of such a situation was discussed in the previous post-show (though that was more in the context of the Vela conflict that is apparently upcoming). Bronze said then that she prefers to play in the moment with minimal outside-character-knowledge. I’m in the same boat as Adam where I like acknowledging known info in a reasonable way to inform choices when I play, but Bronze’s perspective is totally valid too and helps leads to great moments like when Riley got fed up with Yancy’s shit. As always, love the show and the cast and can’t wait for more.

Speaking of Yancy, as an aside, I miss that fucker. I loooved inner-turmoil-ashamed-deep-down-Yancy. Arnahan feels like a bit of a murder-hobo so far in comparison :stuck_out_tongue: Granted, Yancy’s manufactured success has probably put him way past the point of possible redemption. Nomi’s certainly not going to be the one to cause such a thing!

1 Like

Week 17 roll results and statistics:

Nomi Qa’a (AnneMunition):

Roll 1
  • Skill: Notice
  • Attribute: Wisdom
  • Result: 9
  • Difficulty: 7
  • Outcome: Success
Roll 2
  • Skill: Talk
  • Attribute: Charisma