itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Dealing with the banned sub reddit

Continuing the discussion from /r/itmejp BANNED from Reddit 3 hours ago!:

It was pointed out in the above post where twitchsurgeon said that they are aware of who did it, but they’re choosing not to disclose that person’s name. If it’s someone on here, chances are they were banned. Or just suspended. If it was someone over there, chances are they will be banned or suspended from reddit. If it was someone involved with the Rollplay show(which would be all sorts of shocking), then they will most likely not help out anymore. It is being dealt with behind the scenes, not as a public crucifixion. All we can do is move on.

(new topic was created per twitchsurgeon’s suggestion)

I love my avatar but I’m sure a lot of people must dread it by now :itmejps:

We actually haven’t banned anyone here. Banning on here is the very last resort we want to take.
I can share the process that I’ve decided to employ here, trying to be as transparent as possible.

If a post is flagged (or if we spot it as breaking the guidelines) it will be looked at. If deemed possibly inappropriate the person will get a PM from a mod or admin where we will talk about it with them. We will together work out why someone might have flagged it or why it’s breaking the guidelines.

When we can see it’s inappropriate and breaks the guidelines the post will be redacted (not removed) while we talk to the person in question in a PM. They can edit it at any time and it will remain as a valid post.

If it’s a topic that’s breaking the guidelines it will be made into a private message and it will be talked about until the issue can be resolved.

Of course there’s bannable offenses like posting illegal material and spamming.

I much rather put additional rules on the moderators and admins than putting rules on people. The guidelines applies to all of course.

Honestly, I wasn’t asking for the method used. I was just replying to Jabba that however the situation was resolved, the situation was resolved. Maybe not the way he would have liked, but it has been dealt with. As far as I’m concerned, this topic doesn’t really serve a purpose other than to conform to community guidelines in regards to posting on topic and whatnot. I am personally absolutely fine not knowing how it was dealt with or even who is responsible. While it is a tragedy, it’s not the burning of the Library of Alexandria. The core material is saved, somewhere on the interwebz. Personal comments and such might not no longer exist, but c’est la vie. That would happen eventually as time moves forwards. The web archives only remember so much.

When I say we know who did it we know the Reddit user but that dosen’t mean that’s their Twitch name. I don’t want to assume that it’s the same Twitch name and get someone banned. Also it would go against the rules for the moderators/admins to do so.

I know :itmejpgg: I just wanted to show some transparency on how we decided to handle banning and deletion of posts. It was honestly a cluster fuck on how it was handled on Reddit… I was a super shitty mod on the sub-reddit. I do like to look forward and make it the best possible road ahead instead.

2 Likes

This is disconcerting as there are SOOO many great posts archived there to go back to! Fanart, episode Q&A’s etc. Any chance it can come back with all its content?

It would be really disappointing if all the posts on the subreddit were lost. As someone that has a lot of RollPlay content they have to catch up on, I’m going to be bummed if I can’t check out the archived, weekly Q&A sessions anymore.

https://community.itmejp.com/t/subreddit-content-search-and-rescue/460

check this thread !

there’s a lot of fanmade content already, including a INTERNET ARCHIVE WAYBACK MACHINE link that has many of the r/itmejp posts…

I gotta say, this whole issue of moving from reddit to here have been handled poorly from the start.

I find it a bit odd that both @twitchsurgeon and @itmejp attempts to claim that the reddit user “got the subreddit banned” when it was most likely their action of closing it + putting up a big notice about going off-reddit that got it banned when the admins saw it. So y’all gotta take part of that blame, I think!

We know why it was banned it was explained in another topic (on mobile at the moment so can’t link). I just clarified why it had happened at that moment. JP also mentioned in his tweet why it had happened.